Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Slick Willy's DNC Speech

After listening to Bill Clinton's speech about Obama's dedication to making a better America, I was not surprised by what I heard at all. I figured that Bill Clinton would support Obama's campaign because of their mutual desire to change what is wrong with America today. Clinton mentioned that since the Republicans got control of The White House and Congress simultaneously, that health care, as well as availability of jobs have decreased dramatically. He then went on to say that because of Obama's past personal experiences, that he was ready to take on the role of president and change everything (according to Clinton). I can see where Clinton is coming from, but at the same time I think that his argument was a little one sided. All Clinton talked about was what the Republicans have done wrong, but not what the Republicans have done right. Clinton should have mentioned how he thinks the Republicans have succeeded in the past eight years, and if Obama was willing to keep the same policies going. I think that because of this, Clinton is a little wrapped up in categorizing Democrats/Republicans. For example, if he were to agree with some of the Republican views, he might cause Obama to lose votes because he is admitting that Republicans are right in some areas of their campaigns.
I am not saying that Clinton's speech was utter garbage. I did agree with him that the new president does need to do something about the rising poverty, but I think that he should have touched on what was going right in the country, as well.

No comments: