Thursday, December 4, 2008

Equal Oppotunity to Govern

After reading about the "equal opportunity to govern" predicament, I have to say that I lean towards the "no" category. Call me old fashioned, but I don't want someone who was born out of this country to represent our country. Someone from Nigeria would not represent Italy, and someone from Italy would not represent Nigeria. To me, it is unethical, and people might look at America differently because of it. If a native of China were to become president, then China might try to gain some influence because there is now common ground between countries.

Also, I don't think that this is as big of an issue as people make it out to be as of now. In the future, it might be different, but as of now, I don't see what the big issue is. Sometime down the road, if the amendment needs to be changed, then let it be changed. But as of now, I'm pretty sure that everyone has been (mostly) happy with past presidents (excluding Nixon and Carter, of course...), so why change something that has worked?

1 comment:

Cflemer said...

I agree with you saying that this has worked in the past, so why change it? I never really looked at it that way... but, not all change is bad, and America is all about being equal, and this isn't setting us up to follow what we supposedly stand for.