Sunday, September 7, 2008

McCain's RNC Speech

After listening to McCain's speech, I was a little on the fence about most of the points he was making. For example, I am not so sure about the whole cutting taxes thing anymore. Obama, in his speech, said he was all for it. McCain, in his speech, also said he was for it, but criticized Obama by saying he wants to raise taxes, which will take away saving money from the people. To put it lightly, I disagree. I think we should raise taxes. By doing this, the government will be able to spend more money on creating jobs, which will eventually lead to more Americans having saving money.

I also disagreed with McCain on his view about the war in Iraq. He wants to continue pouring troops into Iraq, while Obama wants to get everyone out. I think that we should be in the middle of both views. While people are going into Iraq, there are still people coming out of Iraq. It isn't like the first 10,000 troops to go out there are still out there waiting to come home. If we keep (roughly) the same amount of troops overseas, America should be in pretty good shape defense wise.
I did agree with his little rant about Russia, however. I think that McCain is right in saying that we should not keep a blind eye towards potential threats, and that we need to be prepared for war no matter what. I am not saying that we should invade immediately, I am just saying that I would rather have us prepared for war, rather than being caught off guard if another attack occurrs.

McCain's personal stories seemed to get in the way of the bulk of his speech. Sure, some personal stories about his 96 year old mother are amazing, but I don't think that they should be thrown into his political campaign. I think that campaigns should be based solely on how each candidate wants to lead the country; that's it.

Overall, I did like hearing McCain's views on how he wants to run the country.

No comments: