Thursday, October 23, 2008

Should the government regulate interest groups?

In short, no. I don't believe that the government should have the role of saying which interest groups are legitimate, and which ones are not. I think that every group should have a say in what they want, rather than to have some of the smaller groups kicked to the side because they are not deemed important. Some of the smaller groups might be more efficient in their ideas than the bigger groups, so it isn't necessarily fair game if only the big dogs have say in what they want.

I disagree with the fact that it is the government's job to say that there is corruption and/or misinformation here or there. I think that should be left to the newspapers. Somehow or another, word will get out, and people will know about corruption without the government's help, so why should they get involved if they don't have to?

Overall, I think that if the government regulates interest groups, they are essentially taking away the right to freedom of speech, which violates the Constitution. I think the Constitution should be upheld in this case.

No comments: